Race Day Nutrition
In honor of lunchtime, I'm posting my synthesis of all the research I've done on race day nutrition. I've gotten about a million different tips / opinions, but this plan comes from several of the most trusted sources..so I'm stickin to it.
--------------------------------
Reduce food intake as training volume tapers. Eat “normal” foods. Do not experiment with anything new.
Day before race:
Eat a big breakfast with moderate-to-low glycemic index foods. Eat a large lunch, moderate to low-glycemic foods. Have a moderately sized dinner, with moderate to low glycemic index foods.
Race Day Nutrition:
4 hours before the race: 800 calorie breakfast, moderate to low glycemic index foods
3 hours before the race: 200 calories, liquids or semi solid foods
2 hours before the race: 200 calories, liquids or semi solid foods
1 hour before race: sports drink, sports bar
10 mins before the race:
• Drink as much sports drink as I can
During the race:
• Drink water or sports drink approximately every 15 minutes, 16 ounces per hour. (4 ounces per 15 mins). Set a watch to beep every few minutes to remind
• During a half ironman, a triathlete should consume as much carbohydrate as can be digested and absorbed. About 300 calories of carbohydrate per hour for a 150-pound athlete. (about 75 per 15 mins). Every hour on bike: stop for plain water (or as thirst dictates) Every other 15-minute hydrate during run: water
After the race: Immediately after the race, providing the body with nutrients required to refuel and to rebuild damaged tissue is critical to minimize recovery time. Make sure to consume at least 400 calories of carbohydrate and 100 calories of protein right after the race. (Glucose supplement in protein shake).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment